Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Teen Pregnancy Rates

Well, the data are in for 2008. To view how many teens gave birth in 2008 in each state, click here.

When looking at Ohio, I guess it's a good thing we are not statistically different than the national average. However, looking at each state's data and the information overall, the trends are disturbing. What shocked me as I looked at the data is how many non-Hispanic black teens and Hispanic teens are giving birth as teens. The rates are more than DOUBLE the rates of non-Hispanic white teens. That, to me, is shocking. So what does that mean? How do we interpret that? How can we impact these statistics? I don't know if I have the answers, but I at least think we need to be asking the questions. To me, so many issues come to mind: you have teens who a good majority are probably living in poverty, then giving birth as teens and thus re-creating the pattern and bringing the next generation into poverty. How do we stop this trend? I don't know. But I do know we need to figure it out. The cycle of poverty is discouraging and debilitating, and we need to do whatever we can to eliminate it. I just don't know if this society has the courage, the REAL courage, to confront it.

In Ashland County, our numbers are up some this year. I don't know what to make of that either, except that many of the teens giving birth this year are not ones that are known to Ashand Parenting Plus. That tells me we still have work to do because there are youth we aren't reaching. In our groups, the numbers are good; our rate is about 1% which is amazing considering 30% of teen girls are expected to experience a pregnancy by the age of 20. And remember, we serve many youth who are considered to be at highest risk for pregnancy! So, we are doing well. However, this study, and our numbers for births throughout the county in 2010 so far, show me we still have more to do. Job security, I guess, but I would still like to go be a greeter at Wal-Mart some day and work myself out of a job. There would be nothing more satisfying than the world not needing our services anymore!

On that note, don't forget to attend our Celebration Open House tomorrow, October 21 from 4-5pm at our building, 1763 St. Rt. 60 (by the career center, in the old Heartland Home). We are celebrating 25 years of service to Ashland County! Come by & grab a piece of cake. Help us celebrate the fact that we're still here! We'll be here as longer as we're needed.

No comments: