Friday, October 1, 2010

Glamorizing or Reality-Based?

The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy recently posted a picture of the cover of People magazine on its blog, prompting a discussion as to whether having the girls from the MTV show "Teen Mom" on the cover of magazines is glamorizing teen pregnancy (to see the blog, go to http://blog.thenationalcampaign.org/pregnant_pause/2010/09/teen-mom-cover-girls.php). I have read the article, and I have certainly seen the show. I don't think the show really glamorizes teen pregnancy, but I do agree that even these girls aren't fully exposing the "reality" of life simply because they receive payment for doing the show - something none of the teens I work with receive. This increased income sets them apart from their other peers. However, their relationship dramas, parenting issues, and family squabbles certainly do reflect the same kinds of things their peers face. I think the harsh reality of those issues, even on MTV, can be a good thing for other teens to see. If nothing else, it should be a place to start a discussion with teens about all of these issues, and from there you can debate some of the larger issues. Even having a conversation is important; it doesn't matter how it starts, simply that it starts. For that reason alone, I am grateful to these "Teen Mom" cover girls.

No comments: